Saturday, May 29, 2010

The Spirit and the Bride Say Come

Rev 22:17  And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.

What an invitation? - to drink water. And I've found it somewhat difficult to drink water when one is not thirsty. I know we often flavor our water with sugar or perhaps lemon in order to make it palatable. However, this is only necessary because one is not thirsty. And when the scorching, searing, desert sun in the heated days of life have so sweated your brow as to leave you dehydrated of all of the waters of men you'll seek another fountain. And I been there, empty, depleted, to where all of the philosophies, the isms, the books, the back wood sayings of the country folk and the old timers provided no relief for my dry mouth, parched tongue, and chapped lips. I could say nothing to another because nothing had been said to me of any consequence.

I was in a conference when a fellow walked up to me and proceeded to tell me he was a prophet of God and continued to speak on and on about what the Lord was going to do - how he would curse this and bless that and all that there... and when he took a breath, I broke his monologue and asked, "What church do you belong to?" He answered, I used to belong to "Bishop so and so" and went back to his speech. I interrupted abruptly this time saying "I did not ask what church you use to belong to, I asked, what church do you belong to now?" He answered, "None! …but God is in my heart." I said, "If you don't belong to a church, God is not speaking through you." And there is a lot of fellows that are speaking today who have not heard the Spirit and the bride. They've heard the sayings of men; they've read all the books; and that is all they have some men and some books.

Well preacher how do you know they have not heard the Spirit and the bride? - Because they're message is not the same message as that of the Spirit and the bride. They have construed a message for itching ears rather than thirsty souls. They don't tell men what they need to hear; they tell men what they want to hear. 

Well why does their preaching draw so many people? They draw people who are not thirsty with sweeten water. They foster cravings for their manufactured drink mix.  They draw men who are not thirsty… They are not told that Christ is all, but that Christ is the means to all you want. They are told if you have not been able to obtain it, come to church and I'll tell you how to get it.

Thirsty people don’t need flavored water…. Thirsty people don’t need sugar…don’t need lemon… don’t need cool aid…. They don’t need a promise of earthly health and wealth… Thirsty people don’t need a lot of fanfare… they don’t need a great cathedral… they don’t need light and cameras… they don’t need professional singers… they don’t need a huge choir… but the running water is music to their ears, a melody to the heart, an ensemble to the soul. 

And I heard the voice of Jesus say come! And I came to Jesus just as I was… In my weariness... In my woundedness... In my thirst... and I came...  The spirit and the bride said come and I came... And He opened my dumb mouth... And I learn His dialect; I learned His language. And I spoke the same thing I heard... Come!!! Come ye who are thirsty... scorched... seared... parched... dried... dehydrated... The elders used to sing that song… Whosoever will let him come, let him come...   Whosoever will let him come and be saved…   Whosoever will let him come, let him come...   and drink from the life giving stream…

No comments: