Thursday, November 22, 2007

A Built in Prayer Partner

Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. (Romans 8:26)

The Spirit helps us. What a prayer partner! A proper view of one's self must conclude that self needs help. A need for help is indicative of some sort of inadequacy, a weakness, a lack; here the scripture calls it "an infirmity." And if you don't know you are weak, God knows!!! The Spirit is not hired help. He is not help under our employ. He is the believer's built in prayer system.

In the verse the diacritical mark, the colon, makes "the weakness" an in ability to recognize one's own needs, "For we know not what we should pray for," Paul says. And how can we? I have often said, "If I knew as a young man what I knew today, how different I would be." But that is to know maturity without it; and such can never be. Maturity is the product of experience. And who can ask for the proper experience to bring about his maturation. But the Spirit stands between our pitiful prayers and God, interceding for us, with groans, pains, not that we will not utter, but that we cannot utter.

What person can request a trial? What man can partition God for pain? What believer could utter sincerely from his lips, "Lord, let me groan!" Yet groaning is what we need. Let me be the first to say, such an utterance is a chasm my prayers could never cross.

Yet in genuine efforts to offer comfort to hurting people, we've been there, put on the spot, with families and their love ones. They wanted prayer for the discomforts of life when we should pray for the comfort of death. They wanted prayer for the release of their criminal children, when we ought to pray that God will use the experience to deliver him from the demons that have brought him to this point. And many times in our own weakness and empathy, we submit those kinds of requests. But the Spirit will not accommodate the wimpy carnality of our flesh. The prayers of the Spirit will request for squash while I ask for cotton candy. The Spirit will pray for a mountain to climb, while I ask for a sliding board. The Spirit will pray for me to pump iron while I ask to blow feathers. I don't know what I ought to pray for, but the Spirit does. He utters prayers, on my behalf, in the throne room of God. Father, give him trouble and it will increase his faith. Father, give him pain and it will give him endurance. Father, make him wait and it will give him patience. Father, give him heaviness and it will increase his strength. Father, make him weary and tired, and he will learn to trust you.

Thank God for the Spirit, for His prayers. He searches me. He knows I am weak. He knows my praying falls short. And He utters in accordance with God's will for me. He utters what is most beneficial for my life. Thank God for the Spirit helping me, interceding for me, and uttering to the Father the need for trauma, trial, and trouble which I cannot utter for myself.

No comments: