Tuesday, December 15, 2009

A Sound Basis for Confident Living

Psalm 27:1 The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?

The Psalmist, David here brings to mind a little child that talks big noise. The subjects of his rant and raving no doubt are left wondering, how and where did such a little person gained so much boldness, life, vigor and vitality? Only to realize that the child’s daddy standing there right behind him is the source of all of his boldness. ...And that is the case here in this psalm: None of the confidence, themed in this passage by the writer is self-sourced or self-sustained.

David declares His power; the Lord is light, liberty, strength and courage. Yet let us not fall victim to admiring the power without first examining the person. The first word that arrests my attention is "Lord". It begs the question, is this "Lord" lord of some, or Lord of All? While the use of the definite article is conclusive, a bit of rationale may provide for a more firm footing practically. If He were merely "a" lord, there may be other lords on His same level; on the other hand, if He were merely "my" lord, then He may not be able to master my enemies. However, since He is "THE" Lord; that is Lord of "ALL", then He can make the wicked cease and the weary rest.

It is His Lordship from whence His power flows through the life of the believer. David says, from Him I gain light, liberty, strength, and courage. He gives light to clearly see what I should do and that I'll be ok in spite of the limitations of my own sight, liberty to not remain under the bondage of fear induced by the rumors of my enemies, strength to press forward regardless of the apparent obstacles and obstructions that lay in my way, and courage to confidently employ this equipment in the realities of everyday life.

Yes one can consider the possibility of His promise, you can walk through the fire and the fire won't burn; you can walk through the flood and the waters won't overcome you; however, unless He is Master of all, one is hardly compelled to wager his life on such absurdity. Moreover if He is THE Lord, then He can temper the heat of the fire and the wetness of the water.

Thus the Psalmist rightly declares that when enemies realize that our confidence is in God fully, finally, and forever, they stumble and fall before the fight even begins. Then in verse 4 he moves to the application of the Lord's person and power as observed in this passage: a slim focus, a solitary desire, a single practice. He states it simply, "One thing have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to enquire in his temple."

My whole desire and duty is to stay in His presence. Isn't that simple, just make sure daddy is behind me.

No comments: